31°F

Holiday Fire Safety Tips

Holiday Fire Safety Tips Click to Enlarge Photo: Pixabay

(KNSI) - The holiday season is a time for family, friends, and, unfortunately, fires.

Mike Post is the City of St. Cloud Fire Marshal and says the busy holidays make it easy to overlook fire hazards.

"What generally happens when there's a problem in the holiday season is because something was forgotten, something was overlooked."

The top causes of fire during the holidays are cooking, heating, and open flame.

"The biggest thing is just to keep your wits about you and try to use as much common sense as you can."

It can be easy to get distracted during the chaos of the season, but use caution when cooking holiday feasts.

Be sure to blow out candles or use battery-operated candles.

Turn off space heaters or set them on a timer.

After opening Christmas presents, get rid of the wrapping paper as soon as possible. The material is easily flammable and poses a significant fire hazard.

Toss out that old extension cord. When the cords get frayed or worn down, they can spark a flame.

Most importantly, replace the batteries in your smoke detector.

"Have a smoke detector. Absolutely, hands down, make sure your smoke detector is working. Every serious fire I've seen has had some sort of element involving a non-functioning smoke detector."

Leave a comment