Aug 21, 2014 at 5:04 am
Sports for Thursday, August 21st
MLB: Indians 5, Twins 0
- Only 6 hits on the night for the Twins
- Twins have now gone 17 innings without a run, which could get worse today
- Same two teams have the finale today with day baseball; first pitch is at 12:10pm
- Corey Kluber (13-6) vs. Phil Hughes (13-8) is the pitching matchup
- After the Indians leave the Detroit Tigers come to town for a four game set
- For the first time in 28 years Major League Baseball has granted a team a protest. The San Francisco Giants were at Wrigley Field on Tuesday when a 15 minute storm rolled through in the 5th inning. The Cubs ground crew were unable to get the tarp on the field during the storm which ruined the infield, causing the game to be called giving the Cubs a 2-0 win. Giants protested and MLB agreed and the game will be restarted today at 3pm today.
- Cool story for former Twin Pat Neshek. When the Cardinals acquired John Lackey at the trade deadline, Lackey wanted the uniform #41, worn by the reliever. The price for the switch? A signed Babe Ruth baseball.
- Maya Moore for the Lynx will be named MVP according to reports. It will be the first MVP for Moore who averaged 23.9 points a game this season. Lynx will be taking on San Antonio in the playoffs
- Kevin Durant is about to be insanely rich. According to reports Under Armour is offering the defending MVP between 265 and 285 million dollars over 10 years to wear their gear. Nike has the option to match the contract offer to keep Durant. How does that stack up against the others? Michael Jordan made 100 million dollars last year from Nike.
- Great news from the NFL as Jim Kelly, who has been battling sinus cancer for years, was given the all clear from his doctors yesterday.
- One game tonight, Steelers @ Eagles, 6:30pm on the NFL Network
- Game 3 for Minnesota is Saturday night, at the Chiefs
- Penn State is set to take on UCF in Ireland on August 30th, but that game could be canceled because of a Volcano. Seriously. There have been some small earthquakes that have disturbed a sub-glacial volcano. A small number of people have been evacuated, but if the Volcano does blow it would fill the air with ash, making it tough to have a football game. As of right now it is still set to be played.
- Gophers start their season a week from today at home against Eastern Illinois
- Tony Stewart announced that he will NOT be racing this week in Bristol, his 3rd race in a row that he will miss following the on track death of Kevin Ward Jr.
Temp: 63°F (17°C)
Wind: 5 NW