Aug 14, 2014 at 5:02 am
Sports for Thursday, August 14th
MLB: Twins 3, Astros 1
- Joe Mauer had his 1st HR since coming off the DL
- Kyle Gibson picked up his 11th win on the season with 6 strong innings
- Danny Santana continues to be red hot going 4-5
- Twins have the night off tonight before welcoming in Josh Willingham and the Kansas City Royals for four games
- Some good news on the injury front as Ricky Nolasco looks like he will be activated Friday to face the Royals. He has been on the DL for five weeks
- Scary injury note: Top prospect Byron Buxton was taken off the field last night by ambulance after colliding with a team mate in the outfield. It was his first game in Double A. Reports are that the injury is to his right shoulder.
- Weird note: In Tuesday's game against the Astros, Tim Pinkard went to his first Astros game and he caught both home runs off the bat from Cris Carter.
- Schedule was released last night, Timberwolves open their season on the road against the Memphis Grizzlies. First home game is the next night against the Detroit Pistons.
- The Wolves got four national TV games against the Suns, Lakers, Bulls and Rockets
- Kevin Love and the Cleveland Cavs come to town January 31st
- They have a game in Mexico City again this season. They had one scheduled last season but it was postponed after a fire in the arena.
- The season will kick off with a Texas flair as the champion Spurs will host the Dallas Mavericks
- Arizona State Offensive Lineman Edward Sarafin came out as gay on Wednesday. He is the first openly gay football player in Division one. Michael Sam told his team mates last year before the season that he was homosexual but did not announce it publicly.
- Notre Dame named Everett Golson as their starting QB. Golson was kicked off the team before last season. He led the team to the National Championship game as a freshman.
- The league is discussing stiffer penalties for domestic abuse convictions for their players. The league took serious heat for its 2 game suspension of Ray Rice who was convicted of assaulting his wife. According to reports a player would be suspended for 4-6 games for the first offense and a full season for a second.
- 6.4 million women played fantasy football last year, an increase of nearly a half million and the number is expected to climb this season.
- The Atlanta Falcons are finding a new way to get booze to their fans, cupcakes. Delight by Dawn's Alcohol infused cupcakes are a real thing at the Georgia Dome this season.
- Tiger Woods has withdrawn his name from Ryder Cup consideration. He says that his back will not allow him to compete.
Temp: 62°F (17°C)
Wind: 7 S