Aug 11, 2014 at 5:21 am
Sports for Monday, August 11th
MLB: Twins 6, A's 1
- Twins avoided the sweep with the win yesterday
- Danny Santana went 3-5 and Kurt Suzuki chipped in with 2 hits
- Twins are expected to activate Joe Mauer off the DL who has missed 33 games with an oblique strain
- Tommy Milone makes his Twins debut tonight, he was acquired in the Sam Fuld trade at the deadline
- Tommy Milone (6-3) vs. Brad Peacock (3-8), first pitch is at 7:10pm
- Twins traded starter Kevin Correia to the Los Angeles Dodgers for a player to be named later
Northwoods League: Huskies 7, Rox 6 F/10
- Rox wrap up their regular season with a 37-35 record, the most wins in Rox history
- Rory McIlroy won his 2nd straight, and 4th career major, with a 16-under PGA Championship win. Went down to the wire as he held off Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler.
- AJ Allmendinger won at Watkins Glen on Sunday, a race that was overshadowed by off the track developments
- Three time NASCAR champion Tony Stewart was involved in an accident Saturday night that ended up killing a 20-year old driver. Stewart was participating in a dirt-track race when he spun out fellow driver Kevin Ward. Ward exited his car and approached Stewart's car, who was still circling the track during the caution laps. According to video and eye-witness accounts, Stewart's car kicked sideways, struck Ward and threw him 50 yards. No charges have yet been filed, but the incident is under investigation.
- Early Sunday morning Stewart's camp said that he would race at Watkins Glen, saying it was "business as usual". After intense media attention Stewart had a change of mind.
- Vikings Defensive Tackle Linval Joseph was back at practice after being shot outside a club Friday night. Joseph was not involved and was an innocent bystander and suffered a minor leg wound.
- Chicago Bears TE Martellus Bennett has been reinstated to the team following his suspension. He was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Bears will play Jacksonville Thursday night on ESPN.
- Bill Self, the Kansas University Head Coach, said that Andrew Wiggins has told him that he wants to be traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves. According to reports, a trade will happen August 23rd that will send Wiggins and others to Minnesota with Kevin Love going to Cleveland.
Temp: 22°F (-6°C)
Wind: 17 NW