Aug 8, 2014 at 5:10 am
Sports for Friday, August 8th
MLB: A’s 3, Twins 0
- Twins only managed 3 hits against Oakland in the series opening loss
- Twins have now lost 2 in a row
- Game two of the four game set tonight, first pitch is at 9:05pm
- Scott Kazmir (12-4) vs. Kyle Gibson (10-8) is the pitching match-up
Northwoods League: Broder Cats 7, Rox 6
- Chris Paul was named Team MVP before the game, he also became the Northwoods All-time leader in at-bats during the game, breaking the old record of 750.
- Same two teams back at it again tonight in the last home game for the Rox, first pitch is at 7:05pm. Fan appreciation night with prizes throughout the game
NFL: Raiders @ Vikings, 7pm tonight
- Adrian Peterson will not play
- Matt Cassel will get the start at Quarterback and Teddy Bridgewater will get some time with the starters
Miami @ Atlanta
Buffalo @ Carolina
Tampa Bay @ Jacksonville
Philadelphia @ Chicago
New Orleans @ St. Louis
Last Night's winners:
Redskins 23, Patriots 6
Ravens 23, 49ers 3
Jets 13, Colts 10
Broncos 21, Seahawks 16
Chargers 27, Cowboys 7
- Huge day in the world of college athletics yesterday. A vote by the NCAA has allowed the "Power Five" conferences (ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC and Pac12) to change rules for their conference and their conference only. Starting October 1st, conferences could give players extended medical benefits, money for family to travel, and unlimited scholarships (among many other things).
- Yesterday media outlets reported that the Timberwolves and Cleveland Cavs have agreed in principle on a Kevin Love trade that would net the Wolves Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a first round pick in 2015. The trade cannot be announced until August 23rd.
- Lee Westwood one of three leaders at 6-under at the PGA Championship.
- Rory McIlroy, looking to win his 2nd major in a row, is one shot back at 5-under
- Tiger Woods is 3-over and Phil Mickelson is 2-under
- 6-foot-6 Chris Wood split his pants yesterday lining up a putt. He had to borrow pants for 4 holes before he got another pair from his hotel
- ESPN has suspended radio and show host Dan LeBatard for paying for "Thanks LeBron" billboards in Akron, Ohio. The billboards have pictures of the two Heat Championship rings. LeBatard is from Miami and is bitter about LeBron leaving.
Temp: 72°F (22°C)
Wind: 5 SE