Aug 1, 2014 at 6:20 am
Sports for Friday, August 1st
MLB: Royals 6, Twins 3
- It was 2-2 in the 7th, but the Royals blew it open with a 4 spot as the bullpen fell apart for the good guys
- Twins are still on the road, but now in Chicago taking on the White Sox
- Logan Darnell (0-1) vs. Chris Sale (10-1), it is the 2nd career start for Darnell
- Sale went 8 shutout innings with 12 strikeouts in his start against the Twins last week.
- Twins were active before the trade deadline yesterday, sending OF Sam Fuld to the Oakland A's in return for pitcher Tommy Milone, who has posted a 6-0 with a 2.62 ERA with Oakland this season before being sent down to AAA.
- Twins called up 1st baseman Kenny Vargas to the big club from double A
- The Twins also signed catcher Kurt Suzuki to a three year, 18 million dollar extension. The third year is team option. The 30-year old catcher is having the best year of his career.
- The biggest move of the day was the Tampa Bay Rays sending Ace David Price to the Detroit Tigers for a package of prospects.
Northwoods League: Bucks 4, Rox 3
- Waterloo still in town for game two this evening, first pitch at 7:05pm. It's ROXtoberfest night at Joe Faber Field, craft beer sampling will be available before the game
- Florida State was voted as the #1 team in America, getting 56 of the 62 first place votes.
- Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon and Auburn rounded out the top 5.
- The Big10 had 4 teams in the poll, lead by Ohio State at 6. Minnesota picked up 6 votes in the poll.
- This is the first year for the College Football playoff which will have the top 4 teams play.
- The Wild have reached an impasse with restricted free agent Darcy Kuemper (Kemper). The goalie went 3-1 with a 2.03 GAA in the playoffs before being sidelined with a concussion.
Temp: 39°F (4°C)
Wind: Calm N