Jul 23, 2014 at 5:13 am
Sports for Wednesday, July 23rd
MLB: Indians 8, Twins 2
- Was close late, but a 4 spot in the 9th blew the game open
- Brian Dozier was a triple short of a cycle, going 3-5
- Day game today, 12:10pm first pitch
- Trevor Bauer (4-4) vs. Anthony Swarzak (1-0) is the pitching matchup. Scheduled starter Kyle Gibson was scratched with lower back stiffness.
Northwoods League: South 3, North 0 NWL All-Star game
- Reese Gregory pitched a perfect inning for the North squad striking out two and Kevin Burgee pitched 2/3rds of scoreless relief picking up a strikeout as well.
- The Rox's Chris Paul was part of the North's Homerun derby team that won the title and went 1-4 in the game
- Rox are off tonight, back in action tomorrow on the road at the Eau Claire Express
- The Minnesota Vikings players arrive in Mankato tomorrow for training camp.
- Sports Director Matt Wood and KNSI's Mike Tanner will be on location Thursday, Friday and Saturday covering camp.
- Chris Kluwe will be suing the Vikings today for 10 million dollars for a list of grievances.
- A trade between the Jazz and the Cavs could be a sign that Kevin Love is close to being on his way out of Minnesota. Cleveland picked up some non-guaranteed contracts in the deal, that could easily be cut if traded again with no cap purposes. This would allow the Wolves to pick up some salary cap relief if Love is traded.
- Donald Sterling filed another lawsuit against the NBA and his wife. The league is trying to remove the Clippers owner for racist comments that he made on tape.
- Doc Rivers, head coach of the Clippers said that he will quit if Sterling is the owner of the team next year
- LeBron James apologized to his neighbors for the increased traffic the past few days with a huge box of cupcakes. Numerous fans have shown up at his Akron home to celebrate his return.
- Former SCSU Forward Cory Thorson signed a contract with the Indy Fuel, a team in ECHL, an affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Joey Holka passed up his senior season with the Huskies to sign with Quad City Mallards.
- Sad note in college football, 22 year old Winona State football player Shawn Afryl collapsed and died while working out Monday night. The 6-3, 310 pound Afryl reportedly died from cardiac arrest. Afryl had transferred to Winona State from Illinois. Monday saw temps soar into the 90's with heat indexes in the triple digits.
- Sartell’s 10 year old Kristoff Kowalkowski was the winner of his age group at the National Football Academies Fifth Annual Duel competition. A football competition based on strength, agility, knowledge and accuracy. He wants to be a QB and play in the NFL.
Temp: 51°F (11°C)
Wind: 9 NW