Jul 17, 2014 at 5:11 am
Sports for Thursday, July 17th
MLB: Twins were idle
- Twins are off until tomorrow night when Tampa Bay comes to town
Northwoods League: Bucks 11, Rox 4
- No peanuts at the ball park tonight as it is peanut allergy night. Duluth Huskies vs. the Rox, 7:05pm
- Schools from the "Power 5" (Big10, ACC, Big12, SEC and Pac12) will each receive 50 million dollars this year thanks to the TV money from the New Playoff.
- Vanderbilt will retire the uniform number 1 this year for 6 year old Michael Sloan. The 6 year old was found at the bottom of a pool last week and has been in the hospital ever since. He is a huge Vandy fan, so Head Football Coach Derek Mason retired #1 for their #1 fan, Michael.
Forbes released their top 50 Sports franchises list yesterday, and it is dominated by the NFL and the other kind of Futbol, soccer.
1. Real Madrid (3.44 billion)
2. Barcelona (3.2 billion)
3. Manchester United (2.81 billion)
4. New York Yankees (2.5 billion)
5. Dallas Cowboys (2.3 billion)
6. Los Angeles Dodgers (2 billion)
7. Bayern Munich (1.85 billion)
8. New England Patriots (1.8 billion)
9. Washington Redskins (1.7 billion)
10. New York Giants (1.55 billion)
How about the NFC North?
18. Chicago Bears (1.252 billion)
24. Green Bay Packers (1.183 billion)
34. Minnesota Vikings (1.007 billion)
44. Detroit Lions (900 million)
Top NHL team was the Toronto Maple Leafs at 1.15 billion
Top NBA team was the Knicks at 1.4 billion
All NFL teams, outside of Oakland and Jacksonville, made the top 50 list
The Timberwolves and Twins did not make the list, with a cut off 856-million
- Mesut Ozil (Mez-oot OH-zul) announced that he is donating his more than 400-thousand dollar bonus for winning the World Cup to the projects of Brazil.
- British Open opens up this morning at Royal Liverpool
- Everyone will be on the course or finished by 10:06am
Temp: 58°F (14°C)
Wind: 4 E