Jul 16, 2014 at 5:26 am
Sports for Wednesday, July 16th
MLB: AL 5, NL 3
- Had to wait around to see the Twins as Glen Perkins and Kurt Suzuki entered the game in 9th for the save, which went 1-2-3 with a strikeout
- Mike Trout was named MVP after going 2-3 with a run and 2 RBI’s
- Derek Jeter went 2-2 with a double, he also scored the game’s first run
- Following the game, National League starter Adam Wainwright admitted that he grooved a pitch to Jeter, in which he got his double off of.
- It wasn't caught on TV, but in the bottom of the 3rd, protesters hung a "Love water, not oil" sign over the right field scoreboard. It was removed in the 4th inning and the protesters were arrested.
- Twins are off until Friday, when they take on the Tampa Bay Rays
- Bud Selig announced that MLB and the players association are working together to ban smokeless tobacco.
Northwoods League: Bucks 11, Rox 5
- Chris Paul picked up his 200th hit as a member of the Rox, most in team history
- Same two teams back at it tonight at Joe Faber Field, 7:05pm, there will be a goat milking competition on the field tonight
- The Timberwolves have restarted trade talks with the Golden State Warriors for disgruntled Power Forward Kevin Love. The Warriors and Cavs are believed to be the teams most interested in Love.
- According to reports, Timberwolves point guard Ricky Rubio wants a max five year contract extension from the Wolves. Rubio will be a restricted free agent next offseason.
- Wild have resigned forward Jason Zucker to a two year deal
- Chris Kluwe announced that he is suing the Minnesota Vikings for not releasing the results of their report on whether or not Kluwe was harrassed by Special Teams coach Mike Preifer (pre-fer). He is claiming discrimination on the grounds of religion, human rights, defamation and “tortious interference for contractual relations.”
- The British Open gets underway tomorrow at Royal Liverpool. Tiger Woods won in 2006 at the same course.
- The PGA has forced all players in the Open to sign waivers that they will NOT bet on the open. Gambling in Europe is widespread and accepted. Rory McIlroy is the favorite at 12-1, while Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods stand at 16-1.
Temp: 72°F (22°C)
Wind: 6 NE
Weather: Partly Cloudy