Jul 14, 2014 at 5:09 am
Sports for Monday, July 14th
MLB: Twins 13, Rockies 5
- Brian Dozier had 2 HR's to run his total to 18 in the 1st half of the season
- Phil Hughes picked up his 10th win of the season
- Kurt Suzuki and Glen Perkins will be the Twins reps in Tuesday's All-Star game
- Twins finish the first half of the season 44-50, 10.5 games back
- Twins are off until Friday when the Rays come to town
- Tonight is the Homerun Derby at Target Field. Twins 2B Brian Dozier is on the AL team, while former Twin Justin Morneau is on the NL team as a member of the Rockies. It all gets started tonight at 7pm
Home Run Derby winning odds:
Giancarlo Stanton 2.5-1
Yasiel Puig 4.5-1
Jose Bautista 5-1
Yoenis Cespedes 5-1
Troy Tulowitzki 6.5-1
Josh Donaldson 10-1
Brian Dozier 12-1
Todd Frazier 12-1
Adam Jones 12-1
Justin Morneau 15-1
Northwoods League: Rox leap into 1st place with a 8-3 win over the Duluth Huskies
- Rox have now won 6 straight
- Rox wrap up their road trip tonight with a game in Willmar, first pitch at 7:05pm
- Reese Gregory of the Rox was named to the Northwoods League All-Star team. He has a season ERA under 2 and is striking out more than one an inning. Gregory plays college baseball at St. Cloud State and is a graduate of St. Cloud Apollo.
NBA: Free Agency has taken off
- LeBron James joined the Cleveland Cavaliers
- Carmelo Anthony resigned with the New York Knicks
- Paul Pierce joined the Washington Wizards
- The Minnesota Timberwolves and the Cleveland Cavaliers are in trade talks about Kevin Love. The Cavs are offering Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett and a 1st round pick. According to reports, including here on KNSI Saturday, the Wolves are holding out for Andrew Wiggins, the first round pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
World Cup: Germany 1, Argentina 0 F/Extra Time
- Mario Gotze (like footsie) scored the latest goal in World Cup final history in the 117th minute.
- The championship is the first for a European country in a tournament that was played in the "Americas". All previous WC's had been won by Latin American countries.
- WENY, a TV station in Southern New York and Northern Pennsylvania, broke into coverage in the final minutes of the World Cup. With 6 minutes left, the station broke in to cover a tornado warning. Viewers were NOT happy
- Former Cathedral Crusader, and current Washington Capitol, Nate Schmidt signed an extension with the team yesterday, a one year deal worth 625-thousand if he sticks in the NHL, less if they option him to the AHL.
NASCAR: Brad Keselowski wins again
- Keselowski won his 3rd race of the season on Sunday in New Hampshire
- Dale Earnhart Jr. and Keselowski secured spots in the playoffs with their finishes on Sunday
Temp: 56°F (13°C)
Wind: 10 NW
Weather: Mainly Cloudy