Jul 3, 2014 at 5:08 am
Sports for Thursday, July 3rd
MLB: Royals 4, Twins 0
- Twins only had 4 hits on the day, Chris Parmalee had two of them
- Kevin Correia picked up his 10th loss on the season, most in the AL
- Yankees come to town for a four game set on a 5 game losing streak
- Masahiro (mah-sah-HEE-roh) Tanaka (11-3 2.10 ERA) vs. Phil Hughes (8-4 3.58 ERA) is the pitching match-up at 7:10pm
- Joe Mauer was placed on the DL with an oblique strain, Chris Colabello was called up to take his place
Northwoods League: Kingfish 14, Rox 3
- Same two teams back at it again tonight, 7:05pm first pitch from Kenosha
- TV ratings are in and they are huge. An estimated 21.6 million watched USA-Belgium, with another 5 million estimated to have watched the game in gatherings or at bars, which do NOT count in the ratings.
- The average viewership was more than the NBA Finals or the MLB World Series.
- Wasn't just those sports either, only the National Championship game (14.8 rating) and the Rose Bowl (10.2) topped the 9.6 rating for USA-Belgium
- Team USA Goalie Tim Howard had one of the greatest games ever, and FIFA wondered if it was too good. Directly following the game, Howard was drug tested by FIFA. Two players are selected "randomly" following each game.
- The United States' Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, called Tim Howard yesterday and thanked him for "defending our country". He also got a call from Barack Obama
- Hall of Fame Defensive Tackle Warren Sapp is a bad tipper. After spending nearly $70 dollars at a bar watching USA-Belgium, Sapp left a 0.00 dollar tip on his tab, and has admitted to it on twitter. After being called out, he said the food was bad and the service was worse. After earning nearly 60 million dollars in his NFL career, he filed bankruptcy in 2012.
- Philadelphia Flyers center Claude Giroux (Ja-roo) was arrested Tuesday night in Ottawa after grabbing a male officer's rear. He was expected to be released yesterday after spending a night in jail with no charges filed. Alcohol was believed to be involved.
Temp: 41°F (5°C)
Wind: 10 NE