Jul 1, 2014 at 5:05 am
Sports for Tuesday, July 1st
MLB: Royals 6, Twins 1
- Trevor Ploufee and Eduardo Nunez both came off the DL before the game
- Twins had plenty of baserunners (9 hits and 3 walks) but couldn’t get them home
- Sloppy defense in the 8th (2 errors) blew the game open late for KC
- Twins and the Royals again today, James Shields (8-3) for Kansas City while the Twins will answer with Ricky Nolasco (4-6), first pitch at Target Field set for 7:10pm
- An update on the AL All-Star voting, the Twins have two players in the top 5 of their positions. Brian Dozier checks in at 5th when it comes to 2nd base, and Kurt Suzuki checks in at 4th when it comes to catcher.
Northwooods League: Rox split a double header with Mankato
Game 1: Moondogs 8, Rox 3
Game 2: Rox 3, Moondogs 2
- Rox have the night off tonight, are at Kenosha starting tomorrow
Soccer: USA vs. Belgium, 3pm start time
- Round of 16 wraps up today with two games
- Jozy Altidore is available for the US after missing the last two games with a hamstring injury
- Head coach Jurgen Klinsmann was not pleased with the choice of referee for today's game, believing that the Belgians would have a better time comunicating with the officials.
- The winner of this game will face the winner of Switzerland and Argentina Saturday at 11am.
- Free Agency kicked off at midnight this morning, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and others are free to sign contracts now
- The Milwaukee Bucks have traded for Jason Kidd, who coached the Brooklyn Nets last season
- The Brooklyn Nets lost 144 million dollars last season. The next closest team was the Wizards at 13 million.
NHL: Free agency set to kick off Saturday, July 5th
College Sports: Maryland and Rutgers officially became members of the Big 10 as of midnight this morning
Temp: 57°F (14°C)
Wind: 4 E