Jun 30, 2014 at 5:18 am
Sports for Monday, June 30th
MLB: Twins 3, Rangers 2
- Streakbuster of a win, Twins broke a 10 game road losing streak and a 5 game losing streak
- Kyle Gibson went 8 strong innings picking up his 7th win of the season
- Kendrys Morales had a game winning RBI in the 9th
- Twins are back at home tonight, Royals vs. Twins at 7:10pm
- Danny Duffy (4-7) vs. Yohan Pino (0-1)
Northwoods League: Rox 7, Eau Clair Express 6
- Boo Vazquez had a walk off solo home run for the win
- Rox kickoff a 6 game road trip with a double header in Mankato, against the Moondogs today
NHL: NHL Draft was the past weekend
- Wild took Alex Tuch (too-k) in the 1st round. he will play for Boston College next season
- Former Cathedral Crusader, and future North Dakota Fighting Souix, Austin Poganski, was drafted by the St. Louis Blues in the 4th round of the draft. He is the first Crusader to be ever drafted into the NHL. Current Washington Capitol Nate Schmidt, did attend Cathedral, but was never drafted.
Free Agency is right around the corner (starting July 5th), here is a rundown of the Wild rumors
- Canadiens left-winger Thomas Vanek met with the Wild yesterday, and are considered the front runner to sign him
- Wild contacted Jerome Iginla yesterday. Bruins and Red Wings are also interested
World Cup: Team USA gets going tomorrow
- The round of 16 is already half over
- USA vs. Belgium tomorrow at 3pm
- With a win, the United States would advance to take on the winner of Switzerland and Argentina, Saturday at 11am.
- The game between Chile and Brazil became the most tweeted about Sporting Event of all-time Saturday. The final missed penalty kick by Chile had nearly 389-thousand tweets per minute.
- A restaurant in West Midlands, England is offering a special challenge for World Cup viewers. It is a 5 feet long, 26-thousand calorie chili dog, called the Herculean.
- It consists of a 6.6 pound sausage, topped with 2 pounds of chili, 30 jalapenos and topped with cheese. As for the calories, you could eat 47 Big Macs and still come up short. The hot dog costs just over 40 American dollars, but is free if someone can eat it.
NFL: The skyline will be much different in downtown Minneapolis. Long gone is the Metrodome, but replacing it will be a 400-foot crane that will be helping to build the new Vikings Stadium. It will take 70 trucks to bring in and will be up for 15 months.
NBA: Free Agency rumors
- According to reports, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have all opted out of their contracts and become free agents. According to reports, the three are willing to take a pay cut to return to the Heat, in hopes of building a stronger roster.
- Yahoo is reporting that the Wolves are exploring a trade that would send Kevin Love to the Rockets for a package built around restricted free agent Chandler Parsons.
NASCAR: Keslowski dominates in Kentucky
- Brad Keslowski led 199 of 267 laps after winning the pole, dominating the race
- Afterwards, Keslowski cut his hand when a champagne bottle broke. He needed 4 stitches to close the cut
Temp: 63°F (17°C)
Wind: 13 W