Jun 23, 2014 at 5:10 am
Sports for Monday, June 23rd
World Cup: United States 2 Portugal 2
- Portugal tied the game on the final play of the game (95th minute)
- The United States only has one more game in group play, Thursday morning against Germany
USA can advance in the “Knockout Round” (Round of 16) with:
- Win over Germany
- Tie with Germany
- Loss and a Portugal-Ghana tie
- Loss and win the tiebreaker with Portugal/Ghana winner
- Gambling Note: The largest World Cup bet in Las Vegas history was placed over the weekend. A man placed 350-thousand on Argentina to beat Iran. Argentina was a 1-11 favorite. Thanks to a late Lionel Messi goal in stoppage time, the bettor won roughly 30k for his pricey gamble.
MLB: Twins 6, White Sox 5
- Twins finish off the 4 game sweep after losing the previous 5 games
- Kurt Suzuki and Joe Mauer combined for 5 hits on the day
- Phil Hughes wasn't great, but picked up his 8th win on the season
- Twins are off tonight, start a West Coast swing tomorrow against the Angels
- After tonight, the Twins will not have an off day until the All-Star break
Northwoods League: Rox @ Waterloo Bucks PPD/Rain
- Game has been moved to tonight as the teams will hook up for two 7-inning games
- Rox return home tomorrow night against the Alexandria Blue Anchors
- Carl Edwards picked up his 2nd win of the season on the road course at Sonoma, holding off Jeff Gordon on the final lap
- Next week's race is in Kentucky
- According to reports, Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony will opt out of his contract and become a free agent. No he is not coming to the Timberwolves.
- The NBA Draft is Thursday night, the Wolves hold the 13th pick
- Vikings made some changes to their plans for the new stadium. They added more escalators and more importantly the increased the number of Televisions in the building from 800 to 2,000.
- Tiger Woods announced over the weekend that he will return to competition this weekend at the Quicken Loans National.
- He has missed 12 weeks following a back surgery
- Michele Wie (We) won her first ever major, the Women's US Open
- Wimbledon kicked off earlier this morning in England.
Temp: 21°F (-6°C)
Wind: 5 S