Jun 19, 2014 at 4:50 am
Sports for Thursday, June 19th
MLB: Red Sox 2, Twins 1 F/10
- Chris Parmalee had a HR in the 10th, but the bullpen couldn't hold the lead
- David Ortiz & Mike Napoli (Naa-pol-ee) had back to back HR's for the win
- Kyle Gibson was awesome, 9 innings of 1 hit ball
- Twins return home for a four game set against the White Sox
- Jose Quintana (3-7) vs. Yohan Pino (MLB debut), 7:10pm
- Twins say that Glen Perkins did not pitch in the loss because of a flu bug and a stiff back
- Dodger’s Clayton Kershaw had a no hitter last night against the Rockies, striking out 15 while doing so. It would have been a perfect game if not for a Hanley Ramirez error in the 7th. Dodgers legendary broadcaster Vin Scully had the call, his 20th no-hit broadcast
- Tigers manager Brad Ausmus was asked after his team's 3rd straight loss of how he is dealing with the losing. He replied "I go home and beat my wife". He has apologized for the comment.
- The US Patent office ruled yesterday that the team name "Redskins" is disparaging to Native Americans and cannot be trademarked. It is only against the name, not the logo. The Redskins say they will fight the ruling.
Soccer: World Cup continues
- Defending Champion Spain lost 2-0 to Chile yesterday, a result that eliminates Spain from advancing on into the knockout round.
- Good match-up today, former champions Uruguay vs. England at 2pm
- Some serious security issues at one of the venues yesterday. Nearly 100 Chilean fans rushed a gate and overpowered a single guard. They then stormed into the stadium knocking over temporary walls trying to get into the stadium without tickets. Security was able to get control of the situation and the fans were placed under arrest.
- According to conflicting sources, Portugal striker Christiano Ronaldo could be out for Sunday's game against the United States.
- According to sources, the Timberwolves are considering the Boston Celtics trade offer for Kevin Love of multiple first round draft picks, including two this year.
- The NBA draft is set for June 26th
Northwoods League: Stingers 6, Rox 0
- Tonight the Rox head out on the road, taking on the Willmar Stingers, first pitch is at 7:05pm
Temp: 68°F (20°C)
Wind: 7 SW