Jun 11, 2014 at 5:25 am
Sports for Wednesday, June 11th
MLB: Twins 4, Blue Jays 0
- Brian Dozier hit his 14th HR of the season
- Kevin Correia picked up his 3rd win of the season going a scoreless 6 innings
- Blue Jays had chances early on, stranding 5 runners in the first two innings
- Twins go for the series win with some day baseball today, Phil Hughes (6-2) vs. Marcus Stroman (3-0)
- Twins Mike Pelfrey will miss 2-4 months after undergoing a nerve surgery on his right elbow. Through five starts this season, Pelfrey had a 7.99 ERA
- MLB has suspended Manny Machado 5 games for throwing his bat during a swing over the weekend
- Former Oakland A and 1990 Cy Young winner, Bob Welch passed away yesterday at the age of 57. He was the last pitcher to win 25 (27) games in a season
NBA: Spurs 111, Heat 92
- Spurs lead series 2-1
- Kawhi Leonard led the Spurs with 29 points who also locked down LeBron (22 points)
- Spurs led by more than 25 at times in the first half, and scored 41 in the first quarter
- Game 4 is Thursday night in Miami
- Shelly Sterling will be in court today looking to expedite the sale of the Clippers. Her husband, Donald, is fighting the 2 Billion dollar sale.
NHL: Stanley Cup Finals Game 4, Kings @ Rangers, 7pm
- Must win for the Rangers as they trail 3-0
- New York has never won a playoff series when trailing 3-0
- A week ago, the average ticket for Game 4 was just shy of $2,000. Now it is less than $1,000.
- Jason Mitchell becomes the second person to be convicted in the 2007 murder of Redskins All-Pro Safety Sean Taylor. He was sentenced to life in prison. Mitchell and three others broke into Taylor's home, which they believed was unoccupied. Taylor, who was home receiving care for an injury, was shot in the femoral artery and died.
- Vikings signed 3rd round pick Jerick McKinnon yesterday. The running back from Georgia Southern was the final Vikings draft pick to come to terms
- US Open gets underway tomorrow at Pinehurst, North Carolina. Bubba Watson says that the rough is weeds and the greens are hard on Pinehurst 2.
- Maverick McNealy will be competing in the US Open, on his bag will be a billionaire. Scott McNealy, his father, owned a computer technology company and is estimated to be worth over a billion dollars.
Northwoods League: Moondogs 8, Rox 5
- Loss breaks a five game winning streak for the Rox
- Rox announced a Military Appreciation Night, July 20th. The team will give away 300 sets of trading cards featuring Central Minnesota military personnel.
State Baseball Championships
- Class 2A: St. Cloud Cathedral got the top seed for the 2nd year in a row, they will take on The Blake School, Thursday, pregame on 660am at 9:30AM from Putz Field in St. Cloud
- Class 3A: Brainerd is unseeded and will take on top seeded Lakeville North Thursday, 10am at Midway Stadium in St. Paul
- The Minnesota Vikings announced yesterday that they are pursuing a MLS franchise. They are following the plans that the Kansas City and Seattle have llaid out.
- The 2014 World Cup gets started tomorrow with Brazil vs. Croatia getting started on group play. The United States gets started on Monday.
Temp: 77°F (25°C)
Wind: 24 W