Jun 6, 2014 at 5:20 am
Sports for Friday, June 6th
MLB: Brewers 8, Twins 5
- Oswaldo Arcia was the man again, 2-3 including a huge Grand Slam. It wasn't all good news for Arica as he suffered an ankle injury in the 6th inning getting picked off 2nd base. The Twins are saying he is day-to-day with injury calling it a right ankle sprain.
- Kevin Correia continues to be bad, after being staked to a 4-0 lead, he gives up a 3 run HR to Carlos Gomez on his way to 5 innings, 10 hits and 5 earned runs. With the loss his ERA is now 6.11 and his record 2-7
- Twins host the Houston Astros tonight; first pitch is at 7:10pm. Pitching matchup is Dallas Keuchel (6-3) vs. Phil Hughes (6-1)
- Twins selected SS Nick Gordon, from Sandalwood High School in Florida with the 5th pick in the MLB draft. Gordon is the brother of Dodgers 2B Dee Gordon and son of former MLB Reliever Tom Gordon.
NBA: Timberwolves named Flip Saunders as Head Coach yesterday
- Considering Flip Saunders was doing the interviews (and is part owner of the franchise), yes he indeed did hire himself for the job. Saunders returns to the sidelines after being the Wolves Head Coach from 1995 to 2005. Saunders biggest job will now be convincing Kevin Love to remain a member of the franchise.
NBA Finals Game 1: Spurs 110, Heat 95
- The air conditioning malfunctioned last night in the AT&T arena as the temp inside the building was being recorded at over 90 degrees late in the game.
- LeBron James left the game late in the 4th with cramps
- Spurs win even with committing 22 turnovers
- Spurs ended the game on 31-9 run and the Heat led by 4 with 6 minutes left
- Game 2 is Sunday night, and LeBron James is expected back in the lineup
NHL: No game last night
- Game 2 of this series is tomorrow night, Kings lead series 1-0
- Wild signed 24 year old Finnish top prospect Michael Keranen. He was voted the best player in his league last year.
MSC: 6-2A Sectionals: Cathedral 6, Little Falls 0
- Cathedral's Brindley Thiesen picked up the win and had a 3-run HR
- Crusaders advance to the state tourney, which is set for June 12th-14th
- With the win, Head Coach Bob Karn secured career win 708, making him the winningest Head Coach in Minnesota State High School history
- Boys Tennis
- St. Cloud Tech's Riley Peterson & Riley Bates are two wins away from a state title in the 2A Doubles bracket, they take on the team Eden Prairie this morning
- And the Becker Bulldog's Girls Softball team had their season end with two losses at the state tourney but still a great year
Northwoods League: Rox 18, Blue Anchors 6
- Rox are now 6-0 on the road
- Team slugged 5 HR, including 2 from Chris Paul
- Rox are back at home tonight for fireworks as the Thunder Bay Border Cats come to town for two games. First pitch tonight is at 7:05pm
- The Chicago Bears signed Quarterback Jimmy Clausen yesterday. The former Notre Dame QB has been an afterthought in the NFL
- The 2015 NFL Draft will NOT be at Radio City Music Hall. The league is now taking offers from New York, Chicago and LA. Other cities are in the mix, but the league is believed to be focused on those three.
College Sports: The Big Ten Championship Football game will remain in Indianapolis through 2021
- Kentucky Basketball Head Coach John Calipari agreed to a 7 year, 52.5 Million dollar contract extension yesterday
- The World Cup is set to start June 12th in Brazil, but there is a major problem. Yesterday transit workers went on strike, demanding a 10% increase in pay. Adding to the issues, traffic police are currently on strike as well.
Temp: 71°F (22°C)
Wind: 5 E
Weather: Mainly Cloudy