Aug 27, 2014 at 5:05 am
Sports for Wednesday, August 27th
MLB: Royals 2, Twins 1
- Twins had a 1-0 lead heading into the 9th, but two batters later (and four pitches) it was another loss for the good guys
- Twins have now lost 3 in a row
- Twins and the Royals back at it again this evening, first pitch is at 7:10pm
- Phil Hughes (14-8) vs. former Twin Liam Hendricks (1-0) is the pitching match-up
- The feel good story of USC's Josh Shaw is taking a turn for the worse. According to eyewitnesses, the story of Shaw jumping off a balcony to save his drowning nephew is a lie. According to reports, Shaw jumped out of a 3rd story window after assaulting his girlfriend. He was avoiding the LAPD.
- The Golden Gophers start their season Thursday when they host Eastern Illinois
- St. Cloud State will go on the road September 4th to Mankato
- Johnnies start their season at home September 6th when they host Wisconsin-River Falls
Most Expensive college football tickets this year
1. Alabama-LSU: $568.63/$242
2. Notre Dame-Michigan: $502.05/$298
3. Ohio State-Michigan: $475.31/$160
4. Oklahoma-Texas: $418.86/$145
5. Alabama-Auburn: $415.94/$243
High School Sports:
- Football season is days away, the Metro Sports Commission will have Cathedral on 660AM Thursday night. The Tech Tigers will be on KNSI Friday night taking on the Sartell Sabres.
- Vikings final preseason game is Thursday against the Tennessee Titans
- Cool note in Atlanta, starting this season Falcon season ticket holders can order a cheerleader to their seat for a picture. The girls will have security with them.
NBA: Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor had some strong words for Kevin Love yesterday:
- “I question Kevin if this is going to be the best deal for him because I think he’s going to be the third player on a team. I don’t think he’s going to get a lot of credit if they do really well. I think he’ll get the blame if they don’t do well. He’s going to have to learn to handle that.
- “I think he’s around a couple guys are awful good. Now I’m not saying that Kevin’s not good, but I think where maybe he got away with some stuff, not playing defense on our team, I’m not sure how that’s going to work in Cleveland. So I would guess they’re going to ask him to play more defense. And he’s foul-prone,” Taylor said.
- “I think Kevin, his offensive skills got better than I think we estimated. The only thing that I still have a question mark about will be his health. I had that concern then, I still have that concern and I think Cleveland should have that concern, too,” Taylor said. “If they sign him to a five-year contract like they’re thinking about, I mean that’s a big contract in a guy that’s had sometimes where he’s missed games.”
- If he could do it all over again, Taylor said he would have signed Love to the five-year maximum contract in 2012.
- The NHL is coming to Las Vegas. According to reports the league has decided to expand the league to Sin City. It has been 15 years since the league expanded.
Temp: 32°F (0°C)
Wind: 10 SE
Weather: light snow, mist