Wood's Impressions From Vikings Training Camp
Click to Enlarge
Aug 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm
Day two of KNSI’s coverage in Mankato was a good one. Big names, big plays and big men. Let’s jump right into it.
- Christian Ponder bounced back some from yesterday’s uneven performance. He was easily better than Matt Cassel who still looks like he is finding his way through the offense, something Head Coach Leslie Frazier later told us. Ponder is still the number one Quarterback on the chart, but it may be more because of Cassel’s struggles than him pulling away.
- One thing that really stands out is that the Vikings do not waste time on the practice field. In a day in age where every offense is looking to increase tempo, the pace of practice was high. Should help out against some of the hurry-up teams later on in the season.
- Adrian Peterson is the best Running Back in the NFL, but he still makes time for little ones. Check out KNSI Radio’s Facebook page to see a picture of Peterson signing an autograph for a small child. A momentary thing for Peterson, but it makes a kid’s lifelong dream come true.
- I don’t know if he will make the team, but University of Mankato product Adam Thielen has been making some plays. He has also been strong in another area, special teams. If you are a bottom of the roster guy like he hopes to be this year, you have to be good on Special Teams.
- Joe Webb is not a Wide Receiver. I don’t think he is a Quarterback either. Unless he packs on 40 pounds and starts playing defense, I don’t see the upside of keeping him.
- Phil Loadholt again looked heavy. I realize he is a massive human being, but unless something changes, I don’t see how he will be able to keep up with speed rushers. Two Tight End sets may be a necessity to help chip against high end rushers.
- Shariff Floyd looked good, but he was beating up on guys that won’t make this team. Would love to see him go against the ones more often.
- Everson Griffen. Stud. Couldn’t be higher on this kid.
- Kyle Rudolph is someone that everyone seems to be high one, including his head coach. Listen to the interview for that, but Rudolph really has come around. I’m no Viking homer and I realize how big of a statement this is, but I think Rudolph could be in the same realm as Jimmy Graham when this season is all said and done.
- Disappointed that Xavier Rhodes was out for practice today. Frazier said it was for a hamstring injury, but the team doesn’t think it is a big deal. Hopefully he gets back sooner rather than later, he has some work to do to win that number two corner spot.
Vikings Head Coach joins Matt Wood from Vikings training camp
Don Lyons and Matt Wood catch up with Vikings Defensive End Jared Allen
Leave a Comment