Jun 23, 2012 at 11:15 am
DULUTH, MN (AP) - Duluth officials say it's still not safe for evacuated residents to return to their homes in the low-lying Fond du Lac area.
Police spokesman Jim Hansen says authorities are assessing the area Friday, but so far, Highway 23 has not been ruled stable, so the roughly 200 residents who left can't return.
The neighborhood still has standing water.
Hansen says the city is coming up with plans to allow residents to go back to their homes by Monday.
About 50 miles of roads in the city of Duluth were damaged.
Damage assessment teams from the Federal Emergency Management Agency are expected to be in the area next week to start tallying the damage to public infrastructure in 14 counties and one Indian reservation.