Jul 3, 2012 at 8:22 am
ST. PAUL, MN (KNSI) - Minnesota still does not allow the use of personal fireworks that fly or explode, but even those that are legal in the state can be dangerous.
Jon Nisja with the state Fire Marshal's Office said even those that seem as benign as sparklers can lead to serious injuries.
"Sparklers can get up to 1200 degrees at the tip," Nisja said. "Just for a reference, an oven that you bake a cake in gets about 350 degrees...this is substantially above that."
It is the responsibility of parents to make sure kids use the fireworks responsibly and understand they are not toys.
"We have a disproportionate number of injuries that occur to children and teenagers and even some young adults from fire-works." Nisja said. "As probably would be expected males would be more vulnerable with that."
In addition to injuries, the other big danger is the danger of fires sparked by personal fireworks. Nisja said typically, more fires are reported in the US on the 4th of July than any other day of the year, and fireworks account for more than half of those.
"It's that time of year when things dry out and it is really easy to get something to spread," Nisja said. "So if you are choosing to do fireworks you should consider having a garden hose there or a bucket of water, just in case something goes wrong."
Sparklers accounted for about 27 percent of all fireworks injuries in the state last year. That was followed by firecrackers and bottle rockets, even though both are illegal in Minnesota.
Temp: 28°F (-2°C)
Wind: 18mph N
Wind Chill: 15°F
Weather: Light Snow