News

Man electrocuted after climbing utility pole

Man electrocuted after climbing utility pole Click to Enlarge Photo:

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:11 pm

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A 24-year-old Plymouth man who climbed an electric utility pole near the University of Minnesota is hospitalized in critical condition after he came into contact with live wires.

A witness reportedly saw Steven C. McKinney on the ground in flames. His arms were burned and blood was running from his mouth.

Minneapolis police say they were told McKinney is an experienced climber. He scaled the pole Wednesday about 1:30 a.m. and came into contact with the wires. He was knocked to the ground and a transmitter exploded, knocking out power to the area.

Kaylin Graff lives near the intersection where McKinney was hurt. She says she heard his friend yelling to get water, and she saw McKinney engulfed in a ball of fire.

Abby Faulkner

Posted By Abby Faulkner

Assistant News Director

Abby Faulkner's Profile

Leave a Comment

Current Weather

For Central Minnesota

Temp: 23°F (-5°C)

Dewpoint: 14

Wind: 5 E

Weather: Cloudy

Full Forecast | Live Radar

Community Calendar