Feb 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm
HASTINGS, Minn. (AP) - A Minnesota father accused of abandoning his 11-year-old son last summer has again asked to be reunited with the boy.
Sixty-year-old Steven Cross of Lakeville renewed his request Wednesday during a child-protection hearing.
But the judge says a court-appointed doctor says Cross "lacks empathy" for the boy. The doctor recommended against a reunion right now.
The St. Paul Pioneer Press (http://bit.ly/xWLuRy ) reports Cross agreed to cooperate with the boy's mother in creating a joint child-custody agreement.
Cross left Minnesota last July when their house was lost in foreclosure and drove to California. He left behind letters telling the boy to go to a neighbor's house and asking the family to become his son's guardian.
Last month a jury found Cross guilty of child neglect. Sentencing is set for March 20.
Temp: -8°F (-22°C)
Wind: 8mph SE