Jury convicts Minnesota man in fatal bar fight

Jury convicts Minnesota man in fatal bar fight Click to Enlarge Photo:

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:34 am

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - A jury has found a 33-year-old man guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter for a fatal fight outside a Proctor bar.
Paul Welle showed no emotion as the judge read the verdicts Wednesday.
The Duluth News Tribune ( reports the jury deliberated over three hours.
Prosecutors say Welle punched Dale Anderson outside the Powerhouse Bar in Proctor last November. The 60-year-old Anderson fell backward and hit his head on concrete. He died three days later from a brain hemorrhage. 
Prosecutor Rebekka Stumme argued that Anderson was only trying to protect a woman he had been told was being harassed by Welle.
Welle told investigators that he punched Anderson once and was acting in self-defense after Anderson first stepped on his foot and punched him.
Sentencing is set for Nov. 15.


JW Cox

Posted By JW Cox

Staff Writer

JW Cox's Profile

Leave a Comment

Current Weather

For Central Minnesota

Temp: 22°F (-6°C)

Dewpoint: 15

Wind: 12 N

Weather: Cloudy

Full Forecast | Live Radar