Jul 27, 2012 at 7:45 am
DULUTH, MN (KNSI) - FEMA has denied Minnesota's request for federal aid to help homeowners and businesses repair properties damaged in last month's floods and state officials are not happy.
Governor Dayton says he's "deeply disappointed", and will appeal the decision, While Duluth Mayor Don Ness said FEMA's decision is "nothing short of a travesty." FEMA says the damage was not of the severity or magnitude to qualify.
All of this is toughest to swallow for the folks in Duluth and the rest of Northern Minnesota who lost property due to the flooding.
"FEMA denying claims just frustrates us as homeowners, and puts the burden on us to replace what has been lost," said homeowner Gary Anderson.
When it comes to dollars and cents, Scott Prudhomme said people don't realize just how much property can be affected, and was affected in the flood.
"It is quite a bit of money when you look at everything that is down in a basement, washers, dryers, water heaters, furnaces, refrigerators, all that stuff," Prudhomme said.
The denial does not affect a federal disaster request for help repairing more than 100 million dollars in damage to roads and other public infrastructure. Senators Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken and Congressman Chip Cravaack all voiced support Dayton's appeal.
Temp: 39°F (4°C)
Wind: 4 E