Nov 14, 2012 at 9:27 am
SAUK RAPIDS, Minn. (KNSI) What started as a toaster fire turned out to be very costly for a Sauk Rapids Township family this morning.
Sauk Rapids Fire Chief Tony Hommerding says the fire at 4460 16th Avenue Northwest was reported just after 6:30.
He says there was one woman and two kids in the home. The mom put pop tarts in a toaster that caught on fire, and the flames spread to the kitchen cabinets.
She grabbed the kids, got out of the home, and then called 911.
Hommerding says by the time the flames were extinguished, the kitchen was pretty well gutted. Damage is estimated at $30,000.
Sauk Rapids firefighters were on the scene for about two hours.