News

Fatal fire blamed on smoking

Fatal fire blamed on smoking Click to Enlarge Photo:

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:12 pm

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Inspectors say a fire in St. Paul that left one man dead was caused by careless smoking in bed.

The fire in the Frogtown neighborhood was reported about 7:45 p.m. Sunday. Fire officials say eight family members got out safely but a family friend sleeping in the basement was unable to escape.

Fire Chief Tim Butler says the basement bedroom lacked adequate egress windows, so the fire trapped the victim inside.

The name of the 38-year-old victim was not immediately released. The medical examiner says he died of smoke inhalation.

Officials say a smoke alarm alerted the family to the fire, but three of home's smoke alarms were disconnected.

One family member singed his hair while trying to rescue the man trapped in the basement, but didn't require hospital treatment.

Mike Tanner

Posted By Mike Tanner

News Director

Mike Tanner's Profile

Leave a Comment

Current Weather

For Central Minnesota

Temp: 9°F (-13°C)

Dewpoint: -6

Wind: 9 N

Weather: Clear

Full Forecast | Live Radar

Community Calendar