Jul 30, 2013 at 8:51 am
HAWLEY, Minn. (KNSI) Authorities in Clay County say the cause of a fatal house fire Hawley Sunday morning was by the accidental ignition of materials surrounding an improperly installed electrical outlet.
Lt. Stephen Landsem of the Clay County Sheriff’s Department issued a statement Monday on the fire that killed 15-year-old Rylie Efterfield of Hawley.
Landsem said Efterfield was one of four family members who were home about 1:40 a.m. Sunday. There were three other family members at home at the time of the fire, her mother and two of her younger brothers, escaped the fire.
Landsem said the three-story building was gutted by the fire. Six area fire departments responded to the fire, which was put out about 8:15 a.m. Sunday. Landsem said there were smoke detectors in the home, but he did not know whether they were in working order.
Temp: 19°F (-7°C)
Wind: 5mph N
Wind Chill: 12°F
Weather: Mostly cloudy