Minnesota Student Debt Among Worst in the Country
Myah Christenson | Jul 12, 2019 AT 11:57 am
(KNSI) - Minnesota is one of the worst in the country when it comes to student debt.
America's massive student debt load is a hot topic with several candidates for the 2020 presidential election proposing the cancellation or refinancing of student debt.
The personal-finance website WalletHub released its report on 2019's states with the most and least student debt, ranking Minnesota as sixth worst for overall student debt.
WalletHub compared the 50 states as well as the District of Columbia ranging from average student debt to unemployment rate.
Here are some of the shocking statistics surrounding Minnesota student debt:
- Ranked 2nd for highest percent of student-loan borrowers aged 50+
- Ranked 4th for highest proportion of students with debt
- Ranked 9th for average student debt
- Ranked 21st for grant growth
- Ranked 28th for availability of paid internships
10.9 percent of all student-loan debt is more than 90 days delinquent or in default as of Q1 2019.